Congressman Cohen Announces Co-Sponsorship of Democrats’ Moving Forward Act, H.R. 2
MEMPHIS – Congressman Steve Cohen (TN-09), a senior member of the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, today became a co-sponsor of H.R. 2, the Moving Forward Act, House Democrats’ newly unveiled bill to invest more than $1.5 trillion in modern, sustainable infrastructure while creating millions of good-paying jobs, combatting the climate crisis and addressing disparities in urban, suburban and rural communities across Tennessee, the Mid-South and throughout the country.
The bill includes several provisions Congressman Cohen has long sponsored and that were made part of the INVEST in America Act during last week’s committee mark up. Those include his bill, H.R. 1400, the Horse Transportation Safety Act, in its entirety. It also incorporates many elements of his other bills including H.R. 1511, the Stop Underrides Act, H.R. 3959, the School Bus Safety Act and H.R. 3663, the Complete Streets Act. Additionally, the bill includes two of Congressman Cohen’s amendments that direct the Amtrak Working Group to study the reinstatement of the dining car service and set a date for the establishment of the Committee on Underride Protection.
“For too long, my constituents have watched our aging infrastructure fall further behind the times and deeper into disrepair because we aren’t investing in America,” said Congressman Cohen. “Now, during the coronavirus crisis, we have an even greater responsibility to create more good-paying American jobs, equip our nation with 21st century infrastructure, and set ourselves on a path to a strong recovery in the years to come. The Moving Forward Act delivers the historic, urgently-needed investments that Tennessee and our nation need to fix our crumbling infrastructure and fix many of the problems we’ve seen in in our local communities.”
Among the many far-reaching provisions of the Moving Forward Act:
- The INVEST in America Act, a nearly $500 billion investment to rebuild and reimagine the nation’s transportation infrastructure by fixing our crumbling roads and bridges, improving safety, reducing gridlock, and putting the U.S. on a path toward zero emissions from the transportation sector by cutting carbon pollution, investing in public transit and the national rail network, building out fueling infrastructure for low- and zero-emission vehicles, and deploying technology and innovative materials. The INVEST in America Act is fueled by American workers and ingenuity thanks to strong Buy America provisions and labor protections.
- Invests in schools with the Reopen and Rebuild America’s Schools Act, which funds $130 billion in school infrastructure targeted at high-poverty schools with facilities that endanger the health and safety of students and educators. This investment will help students get back to school and create more than 2 million jobs to help workers get back to work.
- Addresses structural challenges and upgrades child care facilities by leveraging a 5-year, $10 billion federal investment to generate additional state and private investments in making sure that child care settings are safe, appropriate, and able to comply with current and future public health directives.
- Invests over $100 billion into our nation's affordable housing infrastructure to create or preserve 1.8 million affordable homes. These investments will help reduce housing inequality, create jobs and stimulate the broader economy, increase community and household resiliency in the face of natural disasters, improve hazardous living conditions, and increase the environmental sustainability of our housing stock.
- Protects access to safe drinking water by investing over $25 billion in the Drinking Water State Revolving Fund and other programs to ensure all communities have clean drinking water and to help remove dangerous contaminants like PFAS from local water systems.
- Modernizes our energy infrastructure for a clean energy future by investing more than $70 billion to transform our electric grid to accommodate more renewable energy, expand renewable energy, strengthen existing infrastructure, help develop an electric vehicle charging network, and support energy efficiency, weatherization, and Smart Communities infrastructure.
- Delivers affordable high-speed broadband Internet access to all parts of the country by investing $100 billion to promote competition for broadband internet infrastructure in unserved and underserved communities, prioritizing those with persistent poverty. Gets children connected to remote learning, closes broadband adoption and digital skills gaps and enhances payment support for low-income households and the recently unemployed.
- Modernizes the nation’s health care infrastructure by investing $30 billion to upgrade hospitals to increase capacity and strengthen care, help community health centers respond to COVID-19 and future public health emergencies, improve clinical laboratory infrastructure, support the Indian Health Service‘s infrastructure, and increase capacity for community-based care.
- Modernizes and strengthens the United States Postal Service by investing $25 billion to modernize postal infrastructure and operations, including a zero emissions postal vehicle fleet, processing equipment and other goods.
- Promotes new renewable energy infrastructure by incentivizing the development of wind and solar on public lands and building a workforce for offshore wind.
- Promotes investments in our communities by spurring private investment through the tax code, through a revitalized Build America Bonds program, expansions of Private Activity Bonds, and significant enhancements to the New Markets Tax Credit and the Rehabilitation Tax Credit.
“On behalf of the people of Memphis, I am proud to join my colleagues as a cosponsor of this critical legislation,” said Congressman Cohen. “Memphis families are looking to us to act boldly and innovatively to advance progress and keep our country moving forward. I will continue to listen to the voices of my constituents and the advice of experts to ensure the Moving Forward Act delivers transformative change For the People.”
A fact sheet on the Moving Forward Act is available here.
# # #