Congressman Cohen to Convene Field Hearing in Texas on Enforcement of Voting Rights Act
WASHINGTON – Congressman Steve Cohen (TN-09), Chairman of the House Judiciary Subcommittee on the Constitution, Civil Rights and Civil Liberties, will convene a field hearing entitled “Enforcement of the Voting Rights Act in the State of Texas” in Houston, Texas, on Friday, May 3, 2019 at 10 a.m. Central/11 a.m. Eastern time. The hearing will examine the effects of voter registration laws and potential barriers to voting that may have a discriminatory impact based on race, color, sex, disability status and national origin.
- Ernest Herrera, Staff Attorney, Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund;
- Gary L. Bledsoe, President, Texas NAACP;
- Jayla Allen, Chair, Rock the Vote, Prairie View A&M University;
- Michael T. Morley, Assistant Professor, Florida State University College of Law;
- Mimi Marziani, President, Texas Civil Rights Project;
- Jerry Vattamala, Director, Democracy Program, Asian American Legal Defense and Education Fund; and
- Jose Garza, Voting Rights Counsel, Mexican American Legislative Caucus, Texas House of Representatives
Friday, May 3, 2019
10 a.m. Central/11 a.m. Eastern
Subcommittee on the Constitution, Civil Rights and Civil Liberties
The hearing will take place at Texas Southern University at the Mickey Leland School of Public Affairs in Houston, TX. More information can be found on Judiciary.House.Gov.