Congressman Cohen Introduces FedEx CEO Fred Smith at a Hearing on “The Business Case for Climate Solutions”
WASHINGTON – Congressman Steve Cohen (TN-09), a senior member of the Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, today introduced FedEx Corporation CEO and Chairman Fred Smith, one of the witnesses at a hearing on “The Business Case for Climate Solutions.” Congressman Cohen praised FedEx for its work in vaccine distribution and for its efforts to meet ambitious sustainability goals.
In his introductory remarks, Congressman Cohen said:
“Memphis is kind of a one-name town. There’s Elvis. There’s Cybil. And there’s Fred. He’s been responsible for so much in Memphis. It wouldn’t be the great 21st Century city without him. His employees have done a great job in delivering the vaccine to America, making it safer from the pandemic…There’s not a cultural institution or athletic group that doesn’t have a FedEx employee involved in a major way. Employees of FedEx contribute to our communities in a phenomenal way. FedEx is ahead of the game in every single area. Just as it has been ahead of the game in bringing air cargo, as it has. To the world, it has been ahead on climate – innovative activities with electric vehicles and forward thinking. Just this past week, FedEx became one of 50 companies to sign the Climate Challenge to reduce to zero-net carbon emissions by 2040, ten years ahead of the Paris Accords. “I’m proud to represent the city and FedEx.”
See those introductory remarks here.
During the hearing, Congressman Cohen asked Mr. Smith about the safety of longer truck trailers and about his expectations for commercial deliveries by aerial drones. See that exchange with Mr. Smith here.
See the entire hearing, including Mr. Smith’s testimony, here.
Witnesses at today’s hearings were:
- Mr. Jack Allen, Chief Executive Officer, Proterra, Inc.;
- Mr. Shameek Konar, Chief Executive Officer, Pilot Flying J, On behalf of the National Association of Truck Stop Operators;
- Mr. Troy Rudd, Chief Executive Officer, AECOM;
- Mr. Rafael Santana, President and Chief Executive Officer, Wabtec Corporation;
- Mr. Frederick W. Smith, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, FedEx Corporation;
- Ms. Laurie Giammona, Senior Vice President for Customer Care, Pacific Gas and Electric Corporation;
- Mr. Tom Lewis, National Business Line Executive for Climate, Resilience & Sustainability, WSP USA;
- Mr. Charles Hernick, Vice President of Policy and Advocacy, Citizens for Responsible Energy Solutions.