On this page
Please be advised that the State Department is advising Americans to avoid all non-essential travel at this time. If you choose to travel internationally, you may be forced to remain outside of the United States for an indefinite period of time. Find the most recent information on travel advisories here: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel.html
- For the CDC’s information for international travelers returning to the United States, please visit: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/after-travel-precautions.html
- State Department Consular Affairs 24/7 Emergency Hotline:
- Callers located in U.S. and Canada: 1-888-407-4747
- Callers located overseas: 1-202-501-4444
The State Department will continue monitoring developments closely in each country affected by the coronavirus outbreak and will share additional information as it becomes available. They are experiencing a high volume of inquiries and will respond via email to those U.S. citizens overseas who have enrolled in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) or have otherwise provided contact information. I urge all U.S. citizens traveling or residing abroad to register for messages through STEP at http://step.state.gov. You may also reach out to the closest U.S. Embassy or Consulate with your name, date of birth, passport number, location, who you are traveling with, and your specific circumstances.
For onboard U.S. citizen emergencies (e.g., urgent medication need, ill passengers/crew), U.S. citizens or their relatives can email CruiseShipEmergencyUSC@state.gov directly. Please be sure to provide as much of the following information as possible. Incomplete information may delay our ability to locate your loved one and provide information or assistance.
About the U.S. citizen (s):
- Full name
- Date of birth
- Place of birth
- Name of Ship
- Last known location (please be as specific as possible)
- Any available contact information
- Any other information you think would be helpful in locating the U.S. citizen
About you (if you are writing about yourself, please indicate “self”)
- Your full name
- Your contact information
- Your relationship to the person about whom you are writing (e.g., spouse, parent, child, friend, employer, etc.)
Please monitor your loved one’s social media accounts and try using email and SMS messaging as phone lines may be overwhelmed or down as a result of the crisis. If you do establish contact with your loved one(s), please notify the State Department as soon as possible so we can focus our efforts appropriately. Please include in your update whether your loved one is in need of assistance.
If you are in an affected area and are safe, please contact your family and friends to let them know your situation.