Defense
Information concerning my stance on Defense and Military issues.
MEMPHIS – Congressman Steve Cohen (TN-9), a member of the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence, made the following statement after reviewing overnight reports of the joint U.S.-Israel attacks on Iran:
“The American people did not vote for another war in the Middle East. They voted for lower costs, safer communities, and improving quality of life for their families — not launching military action that risks dragging us into another open-ended conflict with Iran.
MEMPHIS – Congressman Steve Cohen (TN-9), a member of the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence, made the following statement after reviewing news reports of the military-law enforcement extraction of Nicolas Maduro from Venezuela overnight:
“Nicolas Maduro and his wife were fugitives from justice and will now have their day in a U.S. court. Without question, Maduro is a bad guy and stole an election to stay in power and has engaged in activities that were deleterious to the United States.
WASHINGTON – Congressman Steve Cohen (TN-9), the House Ranking Member of the Commission for Security and Cooperation in Europe, today went to the House floor to denounce the Trump administration’s recently published National Security Strategy. In his remarks, he said in part:
“At the end of last week, President Trump published his National Security Strategy. It could have been called his National Insecurity Strategy. To say it’s bad is an understatement. It’s disastrous.
MEMPHIS – Congressman Steve Cohen (TN-9) was saddened by the death of 20-year-old U.S. Army Specialist Sarah Becksrtom, serving in Washington, D.C., in the West Virginia National Guard, and made the following statement:
MEMPHIS -- Congressman Steve Cohen (TN-9) will observe Veterans Day on Tuesday’s November 11 national holiday. He made the following statement:
MEMPHIS – Congressman Steve Cohen (TN-9) today expressed his condolences over the loss of life and injuries in an explosion at a munitions plant near McEwen, Tennessee, earlier today and released the following statement:
“I express my profound condolences to the families and friends of the victims of this horrific incident. I will continue to monitor the situation and will work with Senators Blackburn and Hagerty, and Congressman Kustoff, and with local and state officials, as the investigation continues.”
WASHINGTON – Congressman Steve Cohen (TN-9) has been asked by the news media and others about the deployment of the Tennessee National Guard to Memphis. In response, he provided the following statement:
“Don’t give Donald Trump what he wants by instigating aggression toward the National Guard that could provoke a violent response. A majority of us don’t want them here, but consider that many Guardsmen don’t want to be here either. They didn’t sign up to be props in political theater; they are pawns in it, as well.
WASHINGTON – Congressman Steve Cohen (TN-9) was appointed to the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence today. In his new role, he will be involved in the nation’s approach to a wide variety of threats to national security. In response, he made the following statement:
“I am keenly aware of how important intelligence is during a time of wars in Gaza and Ukraine and ongoing cyber and other threats from Russia, China and around the world. I appreciate Leader Jeffries’ confidence in placing me on this very important committee.”
WASHINGTON – Congressman Steve Cohen (TN-9) went to the House floor this afternoon to express his astonishment at Donald Trump’s demonstration of ignorance about his responsibilities and duties as President.
In his remarks, Congressman Cohen said in part:
WASHINGTON – Congressman Steve Cohen (TN-9) took note of more detailed plans to hold a military parade coinciding with Donald Trump’s 79th birthday on June 14 and reiterated the need to pass his Halting All Parades for Presidents’ Yearly Birthdays; It Risks Taxpayer Harm, Damages, And Your (HAPPY BIRTHDAY) Budget Act.